A bittersweet farewell

5.17.2011

As a mother, you learn that a child's immune system is not as strong as an adults and they are more prone to catch colds, and other illnesses.  As parents, we naturally understand that, and know that Jonah is likely to catch a cold from time to time.  However, for a while now, Jonah has seemingly carried a constant stream of congestion.  Sad to say, and feeling guilty as I even type this, ..it's becoming the "norm" in our household--we've heard several times from family members and friends, "Wow..Jonah doesn't sound good!"  We've come to the point where we nod our heads and explain that it's a constant issue we've had to deal with.  We know that bad sinuses run in the family, so it could have something to do with passing down that 'fabulous' gene. But this past week held the last straw and I simply became too tired of shrugging off the "norm".  I became frustrated at all the doctor's visits, the repetitious cycle of waiting 10 days the nurses say to wait before making an appointment for medication, getting that medication and witness a happy, congestion free child for a day or so, only to hear it again a few days later.

The final straw came in a two deal package.  Not only had I had it with the constant wheezing, and mild coughing, I had an epiphany.  This could be allergies. The last straw emerged when Jonah had been playing near the window in our downstairs living room.  Julie(Patrick's mom) and I witnessed the most horrendous coughing spell coming from my sweet little boy.  Partly my fault, the curtains had a lovely stream of cat hair all up the side of the curtain.  The cats sit from time to time on the ledge of the windowsill, so naturally, the curtain attracts hair. I felt horrible.  Jonah cannot even play in specific parts of his own home without being affected.  

We took Jonah to get tested for allergies this past week.  The results have not come back yet, and we are aware that since he is so young the test can come back as a false negative on all levels.  With that said, Patrick and I ultimately made the decision to find new homes for all three of our animals.  

Mojo, Echo, and Iris
Iris and Echo a few days after we got them in 2006.
Iris laying on my pregnant belly--her way of protection.  I believe she knew I was pregnant before I did. :)

There were several factors in making such a decision--Amongst the probability of a false negative, the pet dander clearly doesn't help the matter.  And despite this obvious reason of a possible allergen in our household, the level of attention the animals receive has diminished since  having Jonah.   We feel that it's best for them to find homes where they are given an abundance of love and affection.  With answered prayer, we quickly found homes for all three this past weekend.

To be honest it's bittersweet.  Bidding farewell to the kitties leaves me slightly sad remembering the sweet cuddles, affection, and protection given by them.  Even trying to find pictures of them left me feeling a bit empty. Iris always knew when I was sad and was always right there to offer her source of encouragement. She often was there for company when Patrick was away on trips. She'd talk to you, motion with her paw when you weren't paying attention, and was always willing to sit on your lap and cuddle. She was my favorite. Yes, Echo was skiddish from time to time, but I think she hid from the spotlight of her sister.  Deep down she was sweet and innocent.  Mojo, was Mojo.  I laugh as I type this, as he clearly made it known he wasn't too impressed with Jonah and often left him alone, lacking any curiosity. He was a sweet cat though, cuddly and affectionate.

It also leaves me relieved.  No more cleaning out the litter box. No more finding gum wrappers(amongst other bathroom necessities) all around the house dug from our trash. And no more hair. Uhhghh...I vacuumed yesterday. To give you a glimpse of what three cats can do to a home in less than a week...I emptied the "wind tunnel' over five times. YUCK. You would never think of the amount of hair, and pet dander that can accumulate on carpeted floors..but it's there. (An update on the curtains--washed, ironed, and put back up. All done by Patrick, I might add!)

In two days we've seen a difference.  Jonah still has a bit of congestion, but you can tell he's feeling better and what could have been a factor is no longer in affect.  Patrick and I have slept better and have woken up less congested.  Overall, we are happy with our decision. The kitties are in better homes as we are in ours. We sit in cleaner air, less cat hair, and hold memories of the animals who provided much love over the years. It was a good decision.  A bitter sweet one, but a good one. 

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Oh Sarah - I know it was a tough decision, but you made it logically, not emotionally. That means it was the right decision. :-) Love you GBFF!

Post a Comment